Tuesday, August 15, 2006

A True Cultural Experience

We travelled to Gero town in Gifu prefecture yesterday. This is what it is all about! Not a bus tour, or pre-planned trip being "touristy". We went and stayed with the family of a student of mine in their little hometown to see their ancient yearly festival. They fed us traditional Japanese food for supper...what a spread! I ate fish on a stick...literally! River fish cooked whole on a stick. I ate skin/flesh/bones...everything! (aren't you impressed, Mom?)
We saw men in towels riding on a platform representing their fire god, and later fireworks. Today we were in Takayama 高山 (means "tall mountains") and saw their local temple and walked the streets. They call it "Little Kyoto". Keep your eye on our family blog...we will post pictures and stories there.

Anyway, my exercise...
2/6: Walking all over Gero
3/6: Walking all over Takayama

Tomorrow we are going to the mountains for a BBQ with our Karate-sensei. Should be fun...and hot. I am enjoying all this fun stuff but I am starting to crave routine again. I look forward to going back to school in the regard that my workouts will be of a more consistant variety.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very impressed Kel:-)
You didn't say if you LIKED the fish on a stick!! I assume they were relieved of their innards before they were put on the stick. LOL! I sure hope so.

Colin Madland said...

I actually did like the fish...they were very salty.
And NO, all innards were intact! They eat the whole thing here! Eyes and all. (I left the spine on my plate and didn't eat the head ;-))

Colin Madland said...

Machigaiita! Colin says that innards and scales were removed...

Anonymous said...

Next year a salmon BBQ!

Colin Madland said...

Bring it on! :-) (Can you believe my mouth is actually watering?!?!)